Information Regarding the Reopening Of School - Update 4th June 2020
You will know that we set provisional dates for some children to return to school on a full time basis.
This week we have been finalising our risk assessment, preparing the school site and ensuring that we have a thorough induction process in place for staff and clear, detailed instructions for parents.
Having today reviewed our progress in these areas with other schools in our trust, it has now been agreed that:
- The provisional date for the return of nursery and reception children is now Wednesday 10th June.
- The provisional date for the return of Year 1 children is now Monday 22nd June.
- There is no date currently being set for the return of year 6. At the moment it is unlikely that the school will have either the rooms or the staff available to enable this to happen. The government has announced that it will be reviewing its guidance to schools, in particular by looking in more detail at a rota system that would enable more children to return on a part time basis.
Should government guidance subsequently change we will adapt our approach accordingly. However we are continuing to admit children back in to school in the following priority order:
- Key worker and vulnerable children (the definition of vulnerable children was revised last night)
- Nursery and early years children.
- Year 1 children
- Year 6 children
Safety and well-being of pupils and staff has been core to our decision making throughout this process. At this point the primary reasons for the change in dates are:
- We are waiting for further definitive guidance from local public health authorities.
- Our determination to ensure that we are acting in line with the ever changing government guidance.
- We have been adjusting this week to increased numbers of key worker and vulnerable children.
- Following the near completion of our rigorous risk assessment process we now need to ensure that a thorough induction process takes place for all staff.
- We need to assess our capacity to increase further the number of children on site after every change, in line with UNICEF guidance.
We will be writing again to parents on Monday to confirm arrangements.
Thank you to those reception parents who have informed us about your intention to return your child to school. If you have not yet provided us with this information, please do so by filling in this form. As a reminder, we have asked you to give us at least 24 hour’s notice if you intend to return your child to school.
For those parents with children returning to school, please do look out for more detailed information about what school will be like over the next few days. We will be sharing with you detailed instructions (including drop off and pick up times and procedures) that will include a number of videos for you to watch with your child. Our main aim is to return safely and your support in adhering to our detailed instructions will help us to make sure that we minimise the risk of spreading the virus.
Be well, be kind, be smart, be alert and be safe.